Our team at Wilmar@NUS (National University of Singapore) is seeking to hire an enthusiastic scientist in microbial genomics/meta-omics. The successful candidate will work on projects aiming to sustainably improve animal and human nutrition and health through improved understanding of the roles of both gut-inhabiting and food-fermenting microorganisms.
- Validate and apply bioinformatic and statistical tools to a variety of data sets;
- Explore the functional capacity of a company-own microbial culture collection;
- Integrate genomic, metagenomic and metabolomic data sets;
- Organize, analyze, and present data at seminars, meetings, and conferences;
- Contribute to writing reports, research papers, and patent applications;
- Collaborate internally and with Wilmar-related companies to translate findings and develop improved techniques, products or practices and new routes of research;
- Attend international conferences on topics of interest to Wilmar Innovation Centre.
- Ph.D. degree in bioinformatics, computational biology or related discipline;
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux tools, experience in methods for next-generation sequencing, (meta)genome assembly and binning, and genome reconstruction;
- Experience in statistical analysis using R;
- Some wet-lab experience (handling biological samples, D/RNA extraction, (meta)genomics, transcriptomics, etc.) would be an advantage;
- Proficiency in English (written and spoken);
- Ability to work independently, but also work effectively in a team.
About Wilmar International
Wilmar International Limited is Asia’s leading agribusiness group. Wilmar is ranked amongst the largest listed companies by market capitalisation on the Singapore Exchange. At the core of Wilmar’s strategy is an integrated agribusiness model that encompasses the entire value chain of the agricultural commodity business, from cultivation, processing, merchandising to manufacturing of a wide range of agricultural products. It has over 500 manufacturing plants and an extensive distribution network covering China, India, Indonesia and some 50 other countries. The Group has a multinational workforce of about 90,000 staff. More information about Wilmar International can be found online (http://www.wilmar-international.com/). The WIL@NUS labs are on the NUS campus, which offers all the great benefits of campus life.
Singapore is a vibrant, cosmopolitan city-state with one of the highest standards of living in the world. It features a rich Asian heritage and an eclectic mix of cultures, each bringing with them their language, customs, festivals, architecture, and last but not least, food. Singapore has a tropical climate, and its many parks and green spaces allow for outdoor activities all-year-round. The city hosts many international cultural, sports and music events, offers modern style living and excellent education and healthcare. Situated in the heart of Southeast Asia, Singapore is an ideal gateway to explore Asia and the Pacific region.
Contact and further information
To apply, please email your detailed CV together with a statement of motivation for this particular position describing your specific job-related qualifications, experiences, and interests to Sandra Kittelmann (firstname.lastname@example.org).